No wonder that Europe’s leaders have so little interest in protecting the accomplishments of Western Civilization.
They have abnormally foreshortened time horizons.
From a Washington Examiner op-ed last year:
- French president Emmanuel Macron has no children.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel also has no children.
- British prime minister Theresa May has no children.
- Italian prime minister Paolo Gentiloni has no children.
- Holland’s Mark Rutte has no children.
- Sweden’s Stefan Lofven has no biological children.
- Luxembourg’s Xavier Bettel has no children.
- Scotland’s Nicola Sturgeon has no children.
- Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, has no children.
The lack of children is not something incapacitating. But when coupled with an indifference to the debt burdens they are dumping on the children of others, it suggests the outlines of a pathological perspective.
These people aren’t the future, Christian: they’re already dead and gone.