From the CAF World Giving Index 2021.
Have you done any of the following in the past month?
- Helped a stranger, or someone you didn’t know who needed help?
- Donated money to a charity?
- Volunteered your time to an organisation?
The report includes the results of 1.6 million individuals interviewed across the globe since 2009.
The result is one of the biggest surveys into giving ever produced.
All fieldwork has been conducted by the market research firm, Gallup, as part of its World Poll initiative.
A few details:
- The most generous country in the world is Indonesia.
- The Top 10 most generous countries has changed substantially in 2020.
- More than three billion people helped someone they didn’t know in 2020.
- Despite, or perhaps because of, the pandemic, donating money is up across the globe.
Not in the headlines (but noted here): The least generous country in this study is Japan.
Note that the raw data was taken in the early months of 2020, before the first peak of the COVID-19 infections.
Of interest is that CAF – Charities Aid Foundation – is a British outfit.